Entertainment is an integral part of any wedding reception and can certainly make everyone’s time more enjoyable. The days when the speeches and dancing were the only entertainment are long gone. Entertainment such as music or singing helps people to enjoy themselves and provides just the right atmosphere for your special day.
However, you need to think carefully about the kind of entertainment that you both want and that would also please your guests. Here are some criteria to go by when choosing your wedding entertainment.
- The theme and style of the wedding. Your wedding might be a really formal affair, or it might go to the other extreme and be totally informal or casual. You can have it however you want, but choosing the right music to match is necessary. You wouldn’t want heavy classical music at an informal beach or garden wedding reception, for instance. Heavy metal would certainly not be appropriate at a wedding reception that was truly formal.
- The ages of the guests. In most weddings the ages of the guests differ considerably. You may have young children and a few great grandmas or elderly aunts and uncles. Choosing entertainment to suit everyone may seem hard, but at least with music you can choose many different types so that everyone will be happy at least some of the time. If the ages of the guests differ like this then choosing a wedding DJ that has plenty of variety in his collection will be necessary. However, in some wedding receptions the guests are all around the same age and so your decision is easier. Most people like hearing the music that they grew up with.
- Your own tastes. This is your day and so you should have music that you really like. Certainly you will want to please your guests, but you should be pleased too, so do not sacrifice your own happiness for that of your guests. You will probably have many people advising you on what they think you should have for your wedding entertainment. It is fine to listen to advice, but the choice should ultimately be your own.
- Your budget. Your choice of music or entertainment will usually be constrained by your budget. Whether you choose a live band, a wedding DJ with many CDs or a live singer will depend on how much money you have allocated towards your reception. Usually the wedding DJ works out the cheapest and the live band will be the most expensive.
- What is available in your area. Not everyone lives in a city where lots of entertainment is available for the asking. If you import entertainment it will certainly cost more, so if you are on a budget, consider using local talent, or a local wedding DJ.
Taking these considerations into account will help you to make the right decision regarding entertainment for your wedding reception. When you choose the right entertainment you can be sure of having a reception that everyone enjoys and that you will remember for many years to come.